Monday, April 01, 2002

The pen is mightier than the sword or something or another...

One of the simple pleasures I miss, is leisurely reading the newspaper. The ruling party controls all media in this country and thus, you only read what they want you to read. And propaganda these days isn't as well written as it used to be.

I miss the weekend editions of the National Post and the Vancouver Sun. And especially the Georgia Straight! Heck, I'll even read The Province if I had one right in front of me.

When I got home yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised to find a package from a friend in Vancouver. He warned me that he was sending me something in the mail but refused to tell me what it was. It was a copy of the Peak and a photo of Angkor Wat that he had taken while travelling in Cambodia. I don't remember discussing this with him but Angkor Wat's been on top of my must-see places list. It sounds cliché and New-Agey but what can I say. I don't know whether he reads this journal but thanks so much, Adrian. I'll write you an e-mail soon.

Speaking of the local media, today's April Fool and I wonder what they're doing this year. Sometimes, they use my dad as an April Fool's joke. They think it's funny and then we have to contend with numerous phone calls, trying to verify if it's true.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home