Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Of water primates and novae.

I was recently informed that I was added into an on-line pool for primatologists worldwide. I feel pretty funny about that for a couple of reasons. For one thing, I don't feel that I've done much in terms of research to be considered as a primatologist. I'm still learning. Also, if I must have a label, I rather be known as a biologist or wildlife researcher, rather than a primatologist. Hee. The latter sounds so bunny-huggerish.

So far, the only acknowledgment I've received as a "primatologist", was an e-mail from a graduate student asking for information on primates in water (one of the primate species I had studied are known to jump into the river, and swim to the other side: the proboscis monkey1). Maybe one of these days, I'll get a free cap or t-shirt instead. Free stuff's always good.

There's an astronomy talk, entitled "Novae and Telescopes", tomorrow night at the Civic Center. The speaker is a Japanese astronomer who has discovered a number of novae (novae btw, literally means new stars that first suddenly increase in brightness, then slowly decrease in brightness. They are outbursts from stars known as white dwarfs which form one component of a binary (two-star) system.) I got all that from the information given on the talk. I don't know everything, you know.

Anyone want to come with?



1which makes for a great retelling of the classic chicken on the road joke: "why did the proboscis monkey jump into the river??"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home