Thursday, January 16, 2003

Postcards

I was pleasantly surprised by the arrival of two postcards recently.

The first one depicted a floating market in Thailand. Much to my surprise, a good friend of mine, who most people dismiss as being “too shy and quiet”, went on a trip to Thailand by herself. Sure, it was an organized tour but I’m still impressed that she went ahead and did it on her own anyway. She was always talking about travelling (like most of us), and last December, she finally went off and traveled on her own (unlike most of us).

The second postcard was of rainbow lorikeets from Australia, sent by a wonderful New Yorker I had met during the Earthwatch camp (she’s still travelling around Australia and New Zealand as I write this). I am so touched by her thoughtfulness. I can’t say enough about this woman. She is just incredible. One of the most poised, gentlest person I have ever met. The last night we had together, along with another EW volunteer, in a Malaysian restaurant in Melbourne Chinatown, was full of laughter, and frank talk.

Sometimes I marvel that I have met such incredible people along the way. The Australian trip was amazing because I pretty much got along with everybody and I felt that they were all wonderful people. Sometimes, I wonder if I’m just easy to please and that it’s effortless for me to warm up to people who are genuinely open themselves but… ahh.. I don’t really have that many friends here anyway. And some people really make me very crabby.

Although, I must admit that I’m currently exploring new friendships, and deepening current ones. I don’t know what it is but since I got back from Australia, I’ve just been more open to the people around me. And so far, the response has been positive.

It's great. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home