Wednesday, June 23, 2004

A dose of social testosterone

It isn’t very often that I get to spend company with three good-looking, intelligent nice guys so tonight was pretty special… I had to share the men with Marita and Bertha of course but it was all good. They were all Americans – two of them were traveling together, and the other, I met through work (briefly) and thought that it’d be nice to meet up with him again before he leaves the country. I had forgotten how cute he was although I think he was more of my type than Marita’s and Bertha’s.

It’s a bit of a funny story because initially I was supposed to set up a meeting with him and some of my other friends. But one of them was too enthusiastic about meeting him (solely because he’s ang moh), to the extent that she wanted to know the colour of his eyes. Her excitement was a bit terrifying that I didn’t know what to do. I ended up not asking her, to which I feel more than a pang of guilt. But yet, tonight was more of a last minute thing, anyway.

Aww… I think I’m crushing a bit on him. He was pretty cute and a bit on the quiet, yet friendly side that I totally go for. Plus, he's got a great sense of humour. And he’s doing wildlife research too – yet another thing that I find attractive. I know, I’m totally bizarre but then again, my last boyfriends were biologists too. I guess it comes with the territory – you’re attracted to people that you share the most interests with. I’m so into outdoorsy, down-to-earth guys.

The downside of the night was when Denis (the proprietor of the café) wanted me to meet some friends of his, who kept me with them for the longest time, it felt. They wanted to know all about what I did, and the status of wildlife conservation in the state etc.. I admit, it was a pretty fascinating conversation. The local guy was pretty friendly but I didn’t like the Brit guy at all. He was snooty and condescending. As soon as I sat down and started chatting, he said that I didn’t have to speak in English solely for his benefit –in a rather patronizing way. He’s so perasan to think that I was only speaking in English for him. I speak English everyday! With my family, my friends, my colleagues, boss, etc… I’m not trying to impress anyone by speaking English but if they think so, well, bugger off!

I was casting longing glances back to my table but to no avail. As soon as a lull appeared, I said my goodbyes and scooted back to table of Good Friends and Cute, Non-Patronizing Men. I concede that the Brit guy was good looking – he looks like the FBI guy in the tv series, Alias (Michael Vartan?). But his personality turned me off so bad.

I rather regret not spending more time with the American biologist (he leaves tomorrow) but oh well..... I was also busy this week too. I’m not really looking for a relationship but it’s just oh so rare to socialize with men like these. I love my girlfriends but sometimes, it’d be nice to have some social testosterone around. And it helps when they’re also easy on the eyes.

Where are the cute, interesting men in Kuching?


5 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Gette said...

Married, gay or related to us.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Married, dead or not interested.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Ah, girls... you misunderstand me.. I don't care whether they're taken or gay or whatever... I just want to hang out with them and have stimulating conversations with the opposite sex.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know. I was just reiterating my constant frustration. But worse than cute guys, cute guys who are also great conversationalists are extinct in this place.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Dee said...

sighs..oh where art thou?Yup,those are rare breed for sure.Especially the kind that is cute,intelligent,available(or not) and not thinking of "dating" or anything along that line but just enjoying your company as a friend/conversationalist...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home