Thursday, July 08, 2004

Lift up your skirt a little higher, and show your world to me

I wish my boss is less interested in my private life. All that speculating about my (lack of) love life to my colleague can’t be healthy. He thinks that I went out on a date with that American student! I don’t know who told what but I’m rather peeved because all we had was an innocent gathering of SIX people. Hardly a romantic moment. He feels sorry for me because he gathers that local men are intimidated by my line of work. Well, I don’t feel sorry for myself because if men are easily intimidated by me, then they’re not worth my time.

Is it so hard to believe that I could be fulfilled without a man in my life? Why does society tend to look down on single women like they’re unfinished? Waiting in the wings until our Prince Charming comes along. Bah.

There are still so many things in my life that I want to accomplish/experience and if you’re in a relationship, those goals become less of a priority. And I’m in a stage of my life where I don’t want to be hindered by a relationship. Sounds selfish but at least I’m honest. Harmless crushes are fun though.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Recently, some guy passed along his business card to me via a third party (the waitress) because he wanted to meet me. Naturally, I freaked out and didn’t want to accept the card. The funny thing was that if he was so interested in meeting me, at least pay for my bloody drink-lah. It was just a Coke for goodness sake.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I met Daniel, of No Place Like Home, last night at James Brooke café (apparently the café of choice for foreigners – I was the only local there!). He is as garrulous in real life, as he is verbose in his travel blog. The guy’s been travelling the world for almost a year now, and is here for the Rainforest World Music Festival. I’ve been reading about his travels for a couple of months now and I thought it’d be neat to read about his insights on Sarawak, and so I told him about the fest. And now, he’s here.

He was told that the women of Sarawak and Sabah have a good reputation in West Malaysia (we’re lovely, good-natured, etc…) so we’d see if he continues to believe that after hanging out with my friends and I during the fest! I don’t know… Funnily, “lovely and good-natured” don’t immediately come into mind when I think of my posse. Huh.



5 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger sarah said...

I know what you mean.. when you're in a relationship, goals that were important to you suddenly come second. when you get out, everything comes back in focus again. thankfully.

and i loooove this entry's title! dave matthews band, yeah!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Shook said...

Since you were gracious enough to leave a comment on my blog, I shall return the favour, hopefully in kind.

I have a different take on this relationship hindrance thing. If a relationship is is considered a hindrance to their goals, isn't it because the parties involved made it so? I would not want to be in a relationship where the other party is not supportive or at least understanding of my goals in life and my method of achieving them.

As for the reputation of our girls over here, I think it's in comparison with the girls "over there". :-P I'm biased, of course. I've fared well with our girls here but, then again, it could mean that they have "questionable tastes" in addition to being "lovely and good-natured". :-)

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Girl, know that you are not alone. And if you ever feel that you are, just go talk to your colleague. Youse can speculate what he says about her.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Bertha said...

Bah. Who cares about what all these people think of US single girls? Not worth your time, like dumb men who are intimidated by your line of work. *rolls eyes* Besides, you're not alone! Look how much fun we had this weekend! ;)

I'll bet Daniel has a copmletely different outlook of Sarawakian women by now, especially seeing as one continually cursed him while she was drunk. LOL

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

Hrm, I think I'm quite "lovely and good-natured" ... heh. j/k. Seriously, I think his opinion of Sarawakian women should be different by now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home