Saturday, July 17, 2004

Nice guys don't finish last

I think my parents are very cool folks.  Cool, bizarre folks actually.  Daniel’s been staying with us for almost a week and the fam’s calmly accepted him without any questions about him whatsoever.  We had dinner at the Sarawak Club a couple of nights ago, where the conversation was firmly centered on golf.  My parents have no idea what Daniel does for a living, or how I met him (the internet meet-up would have been tricky to handle).  However, my dad knows Daniel’s dad’s golf handicap score – you know, the more important stuff.
 
I brought Daniel once to the office where he met my boss, and when we left, he was all agog about Daniel.  My parents on the other hand, they’ve calmly accepted that he’s a friend of mine and thus, haven’t harassed him with personal questions. I think it’s also a testimony of how much they trust me and my choice in friends.  I do feel that he’s become a very good friend.  The crazy drunken debauchery night helped seal our friendship.  But also, I think they can see for themselves that Daniel is a genuinely nice guy.  Marita says that he’s too nice for a white guy, and from my own experiences living in Canada for many years and Washington, D.C. (and travelling around U.S.A. & Australia), I would have to agree.  To be honest, I don’t think my ex boyfriends would have been that kind to me like Daniel was when I was very drunk.  Before that night, I was hesitant about him staying with us but he proved to be a very kind, compassionate person and the dogs, sans Frodo, seem to like him and you know you can always trust the dogs, even the dumb ones. 
 
Genuinely nice guys are incredibly hard to find, aren’t they?  And I don’t mean guys who are nice to you because they are keen on you – they’re everywhere, and the niceness doesn’t last when they get what they want, nor does the niceness extend to other people.  I just think that his girl in China is incredibly lucky (not only is he very nice, he’s so interesting to talk to and he’s terribly cute – he looks like a younger version of John Cusack!) and I hope that they have a very happy life together because he deserves it. 
 
Myself, I’m still waiting for my Nice Guy.     
 

5 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Dee said...

yup..such guys are hard to find.where art thou??hehehe.pity you missed the bloggers meet...err by the way,you in the yahoo group?

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They are VERY cool parents. And no, good friends don't come easy.

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Bertha said...

Aren't we all waiting for Mr Nice Guy! :) Glad you found one though.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Dee: Sorry to have missed the bloggers meet-up. I was hosting a dinner pot-luck on the same day so was too busy to attend.

Sativa: yes, we can wait together... :-)

Marita: yalah!

Bertha: and here I thought you had found your Mr. Nice Guy.. ;-)

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

not sure if I'd found my Mr Nice Guy with what's happening now. :) Long story which should be left for another time. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home