Thursday, August 05, 2004

Bali dreaming

Daniel passed out

The above picture makes me smile. This is after we gorged ourselves during the breakfast buffet at the Batang Ai Hilton. It was a nice change of pace after eating fish after fish after fish for many days in the rainforest. We dragged ourselves back to our room, flopped onto the beds, and remained there, digesting, until it was time to check out.

During our short stay at the Hilton, we took command over their large chess set and played a couple of games, right until the time of our departure.

chess match at the Hilton

Daniel and I are currently playing chess online, thanks to postcardchess.com. It’d be a challenge for me to play a proper chess game without the sudden tut-tuts from Daniel whenever I make an impulsive bad move. Ah well, it’d make me a better chess player.

I’ve been dying to buy this lovely wooden chess set at Bali Art but I figured that I might as well buy it in Bali when I head over there in …. a couple of months hopefully or at least by next year.

I’ve had a stimulating morning and a loooong lunch hour with this amazing woman/friend. We chatted over a lot of things, including travelling in Bali. She absolutely loves the place and often goes there to de-tox from work. So we spent a couple of hours, I think, just chatting about Bali and she was giving me a lot of useful tips on what to do (rent a jeep and drive to places like Batur – beautiful volcanic lake, Lovina, etc…) and what to buy (textiles are not worth buying unless you go up-market because the cheaper ones won’t last after a couple of washes; it’s better to spend your money on carvings and silver jewelry). I took lots of notes of course, on my handy little notebook that I often carry around. I’ve been entranced with the idea of visiting Bali for a long while now, and now that AirAsia is offering really cheap flights from KL to Bali – I’m just waiting until it’s convenient for me to leave work for a short while and go for a nice holiday.

And oh, websites like baliblog.com have been pretty useful although I find it more fun and stimulating talking “real-time” to people I know who have travelled to Bali.

Besides Bali, we also talked a lot about careers and she’s given me so much insight and feedback. I’m glad to have talked to her about it and I’m thrilled with the different opportunities that are available to me. I guess I’ve always known that they’ve been there but just talking to someone who truly knows what she’s talking about, reassures my plans for the future.

So yeah, I’m still beaming.

6 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

It'd be nice to go to Bali with you but if you can and want to go earlier, please go ahead. You deserve a break from work and life.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

I still think he looks like an overturned turtle! LOL

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh Bali *looks wistfully at horizon*

Someday, someday...

Right now, I'm just too broke to travel.

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.indahnesia.com

worth a visit, have fun.

yours in Randau Ruai

SFX

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

joyce, sativa - we can always go together one day! it'd be so much fun - think of the shopping we can do together.. :-D

Let me do a recee first however... ;-)

SFX, thanks for the website mention. I've checked it out and it's very useful! Good to know what's happening in Indonesia.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Bali??Ooooohhh...I want..I want..been planning to go there but have yet to make it a reality.At the moment,the funds are not THERE yet ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home