Monday, August 09, 2004

The Great Escape

blue skies lift me up

The first sentence of this entry was supposed to say: “Booking airline tickets online is exhilarating” but stupid Airasia has decided to put up their online reservations on maintenance tonight. I leave for the field early tomorrow and I’m hoping that the site will be back on-line then. Otherwise the alternative is to get Spanky to book our tickets and I’m really sorry, Spanky but you’re not exactly on top of my list of Reliable People. For all I know, he’d probably end up booking us flights to places like… I was going to mention some horrific West Malaysian town but it occurred to me that they’re all the same to me anyway. We are going to the “most beautiful town in West Malaysia” and I’m not even sure whether I could point it out on the map. At this stage, I don’t really care. It’s not Kuching – that’s all that matters.

We’re taking the cheapest available route to Most Beautiful Town, to cut down on costs. Spanky wants to take a bus but romantic me, has a hankering for the train. Actually, when I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever been on a train before. Oh, Spanky! The train, the train! You could even book your tickets online, so I hear.

So I told my mom today that I was heading off to Bali soon. “With whom?” “Oh, by myself” “WHY?” “Because” “I’m coming with you” “….”

I managed to placate her by promising that we’d go to the Philippines next year together to visit my uncle and his family. That made her really happy. And I’m pretty happy too for it all fits in the grand scheme of my Great Escape. Actually, I was going to say Great Escape and Learning More About My Dual Heritage but it just looks too messy. The good news about my Great Escape is that I’m not completely giving up my career. I’m just going to try new things, learn new skills that will complement what I know now. I’m not sure what will happen, or whether I would succeed or not. But I’d be damned if I stayed here in this town doing the same thing over and over again because I was too afraid to try something new.

I’m sure you’ve noticed – I’ve disabled the comments feature. All the comments so far have been lovely and supportive but I had found myself caring too much over the comments. And the less tied I am to the on-line community, the better. The real world is so much more exhilarating – go out and play.