Saturday, August 21, 2004

Where are the attractive people in Kuching?

So here’s the situation: you’re one of the only two single gals in a party heavily dominated by guys. The other single gal happens to be youse Favourite People; all the male attention onto you; no skanky hoes to steal your thunder. Should be a blast, right?

In theory, yes… but in practice where the men are local – HECK NO.

All they did was huddle in a group, giggling while occasionally sneaking glances at us. I tried many times to strike up a conversation but I might as well be talking to a wall. How could a large group of late twenty-something guys be so shy? SO BORING. Lame.

After a while, they kept referring to me (within ear-shot) as the German Girl – “Hey, the German Girl’s back!” How that came about was a totally lame joke on their part, not even worth writing about it.

“Where are the girls? Where are the girls?” we kept whispering to each other.. Good grief, bring on the skanky hoes!! More importantly, where was the BOOZE? At least we could have our own fun – sigh.

The other part of the party was an older married couple and of course, the host and his family, who were infinitely more interesting than the dull local guys but all they wanted to talk to me was about work. AAAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhh!!! It’s Friday night! It’s been stressful in the office AND in the field – could I have some space from it please???

After the party, we decided to hit the town for some much-needed booze. But ha ha haaa… silly me, I had forgotten how lame Kuching nightlife could be. We checked out a couple of pubs, and were so dispirited by the mass of unattractive people who either
a) huddled in large groups, giggling and gawking at us
b) were under the delusion that they were “dancing” to lame MTV music. I like to check out hot babes shaking their booties as much as everyone else (don’t you? Oh. Me neither) but as much as wobbly flesh was on display and a-shaking desperately, it just wasn’t fun to watch, no. I got so sad. They weren't even hot.

So we went home.

I really need a long-term holiday from Kuching.

10 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger superkumquat said...

Come to KL! Hee hee hee. Andy and I will bring you to hotspots :-p

Have you tried Grappa though? It's got a more down-to-earth vibe compared to Soho lah.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger superkumquat said...

Err, where did you girls go anyway?

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

Re: Grappa ... I'm gonna say it's cos Andy's not there! Hahahaha. If I may say so, he outdanced most of the Grappa kiddies. Especially when he was on the speakers :-p

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

But you gotta hand it to them Grappa kiddies. At least they had the guts to dance than just sit down and eyeball each other while giggling and/or getting drunk/vomitting.

It's all in the crowd lah. They set the vibe. So I guess last night's crowd wasn't that great lah.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

"I tried many times to strike up a conversation.."

Huh ? Something's wrong here... Now if I were at a party and a woman walked up to me and started to talk to me, I would be most flattered. And as a male person, it is unfortunately true (especially in Kuching) that some men still do that lame whisper-amongst-each-other, the innapropriate glance-stealing and the talking just loud enough for you to hear. The worse part ? They don't know any better, therefore they make no effort to get rid of this annoying habit. I know, I have friends who act like this *hangs head in shame*.

In reality, most guys do this because they're intimidated/scared/shy or any combination of the three.

And why did they call you German girl ? Are u part German ? I thought you were Bidayuh.

And, what does "attractive" mean to you ? I think this subject would make a most fascinating topic of inter-gender conversation over tea at Bing.

Are you game ?

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

"German girl" - some guy misheard me and thought that i was asking whether anyone of them spoke German.

Actually, it wasn't so difficult to talk to us, considering that we were all sitting together!!! At one point, I was sitting on the sofa with two other guys and they wouldn't talk to me at all. I felt ridiculous attempting to talk to them but not getting anywhere.

mac: sure - i'd like to have a two-way conversation with a local guy for once. ;-)

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

daniel: still looking for an opportunity to do that "wing-man" thing!

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm...time to check the schedule. Oh who am I kidding, I don't HAVE a schedule.

Cayce, you'll hear from me next week. Until then...;)

 
At 6:21 AM, Blogger Bertha said...

German girl? Oookkkk....

Unfortunately, it doesn't get better whereever you go. Kuching just has a higher percentage of them, is all.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

andrea: ha haaa haaa haaa!!!.... i feel your pain. sometimes, it is tough to be the only pretty person around. ;-) :-D WHERE'S MY MAN CANDY???????

seoirse: bah to living in the nucleus of unattractive, boring people!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home