Friday, September 24, 2004

About me

In no particular order, here are 28 facts about me.

1. I’m a middle child, of three;

2. The ubiquitous horoscope reference: I’m a Cancer born in the Year of the Dragon;

3. That makes me…. crabby and scaly??

4. I’m half Bidayuh/half Filipino of Malaysian/Canadian parents;

5. I’ve lived in British Columbia, Canada for six years;

6. My first real job was a receptionist at the Tourism Malaysia office in Vancouver;

7. I used to be an intern in Washington, D.C. I have visited the White House but I did not have sexual relations with the President;

8. The summer in D.C. remains as one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was making American dollars!!!!;

9. I’ve rolled down Capitol Hill;

10. I’ve had two slipped discs within a year; an aftermath of a bad car accident in Vancouver;

11. Physiotherapy hurts like hell but at least, I’m a proud owner of a WWE-like back support belt;

12. I met Chris Carter at a SF convention in Vancouver once, told him that I was from Malaysia and grinned like a maniac. He looked at me blankly and said, “…. that’s nice….”;

13. The X-Files episode where the good-intentions-gone-bad fruitcake was a Malaysian soon aired;

14. I have an autograph from Chris Carter that says, “All the way from Malaysia!”;

15. I once had a crush on Private Ryan. An actual Canadian soldier, not the movie. We were working together at the APEC conference held in Vancouver many moons ago – he was our designated guard/driver, and I was the office monkey;

16. The crush died when he said that Mariah Carey was the greatest singer ever;

17. I am separated by two degrees from Julia Roberts;

18. Most importantly, I’m separated by three degrees from Denzel Washington;

19. I would love to find out how many degrees I’m separated from Antonio Banderas or Eric Bana or Johnny Depp;

20. I’ve done possum fieldwork in Victoria, Australia courtesy of Earthwatch. It was also one of the coolest experiences;

21. I’ve climbed the Great Wall of China and flown a kite on Tiananmen Square;

22. I’m currently working for an international ngo as a field researcher;

23. I was once denied entry to USA, they let me in fifteen minutes later after a different – read, less assholey – immigration officer interviewed me;

24. I immensely dislike American immigration officers;

25. I once worked for a marine biology professor, a staunch Republican who collected human skulls. He knew of my headhunter ancestry, and wrote to me asking whether I could help find a Bornean skull for him - of course, I didn't give him any! All mine!;

26. I used to have a pet monkey (this is before the wildlife laws took in place – please note that it is CURRENTLY ILLEGAL to have wildlife as pets in the state!!);

27. My nickname is Monkey but is only reserved for friends who have shared the Night of Infamy with me;

28. I don’t like horror movies.


17 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

ooh ooh ooh! Can ape join in on this and post about same points on ape's site? *waves hand excitedly*

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

You are 5 degrees separated from both Johnny Depp & Eric Bana because they worked with Orlando Bloom. :)

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

MP: the ape can do whatever she wants because if monkey say no, ape will thump monkey's head anyway. he hee

seiorse: WHAT??? 5 degrees? So far wat?

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

Erm....I'm not sure what 'so far wat' means, or more appropriately, I'm not sure what 'wat' means?! :p

And technically, I supposed you could be 4 degrees separated, but that'll be like lying to yourself anyway. LOL

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

my manglish has vastly improved.. I meant "what" wat?

Tu si lo!


(i forget what that means but I really like the sound of it)

Two see low!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

OK, just as I suspected. :D

Why in the world is the 'what' at the end of the question and not in the beginning? That's what I don't understand! Sorry, I think it's an occupational hazard. LOL I'm a purist when it comes to the English language!

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

jordan: awww.. thanks! :-)

andrea: lol no i don't collect skulls! my ancestors did though. back in the longhouse, my dad's fam has a collection of human skulls. but this professor definitely had this weird collection of human skulls from all over. he also collected guns, and was a proud member of the NRA. did i mention that he was a Republican?

sativa: sure! go ahead. 28 facts, 30, 10000... knock yourself out. ;-)

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's official.

Your life is WAY more exciting than mine.

You will see that when I plagiarise you entry and do mine in the morning.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Wow...hmm...you've started the ball rolling.Probably doing mine too..very interesting.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

mac: the grass is always greener on the other side. i hope you had fun writing your list as i did mine.

dee m: actually, i'm rather surprised and pleased with the response - that people want to write their own list too. it started out with me thinking that I needed an "About Me" entry, and instead of writing a run-of-the-mill autobio, i thought it would be fun to write a list instead. :-) i hope to see yours!

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You expressed your concerns repeatedly on Points 23 and 24.( I sympathise, Some Immigration Officers I suspect are just plain rascists).

The rest is entertaining. I find Point 25 a lot more confusing than some.

Why would a Marine Biology Proffessor ask you for a Human Skull ? Is he being deliberately offensive to others ?,...Pardon me, I just can't accept the explanation that he collects human skulls....Republican Democrat or Borneoan (Is this spelt right ?).

Otherwise, enjoy your day, wherever you maybe at the moment, which I'm guessing it's either Kuching or somewhere in Lanjak Entimau.

have fun,


SP (Pengawa Manah, agi ulih jako Iban, hehe)

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger cabiria said...

so you are a X Filer too? cool! X Files was a big step in my education as the tv junkie I am today. It all has its roots in Twin Peaks, which incidentaly carried my first star system crush: Kyle MacLachlan, the ever charming detective Dale Cooper.
aaaanyway, didn't understand this fact: "13. The X-Files episode where the good-intentions-gone-bad fruitcake was a Malaysian soon aired". Who (what)'s the fruitcake? Who(what)'s malaysian?
I would love to find out how many degrees I am separated from Mark Ruffalo. How do I do that?

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

SP: Yup, he does collect human skulls. It's one of his hobbies. Apparently, lots of people around the world collect skulls. He has skulls from all over, including PNG but not Borneo skulls, hence his keen interest in procurring one.

Lets: Oh, so cool! :-) Ok, the XF episode I was referring to was the hospital orderly who was popping magic mushrooms or pills i forget to the elderly in the old folks home. One of them raped the nurse, etc.. the old people got out of control so anyway, at the end of the episode, it was discovered that the orderly was Malaysian and had wanted to help the old people by giving them the magic mushrooms so that they can become more lucid (and apparently more murderous. dem crazy old people) because that's what "we do in our country - we respect our old folks" Yup, I'm rambling on a bit, hope you got the gist of it. Anyway, the Malaysian was deported.

Oh, I had thought about adding Mark Ruffalo to my list too! I like him a lot too! :-) Very talented actor. I've watched him in that prison movie with Robert Redford and I squee at him in the cute movie, 13 going on 30. Just the kind of guy I could totally go for. I'm not sure how you could figure out how many degrees you are separated from Mark.


Myself, I was two degrees away from Julia Roberts because I was a student of Birute Galdikas - one of Louis Leakey's "Angels" who is the prominent orangutan researcher in Kalimantan. Well, Julia went to her campsite and did a documentary on orangutans. So there you go... I'm practically connected to Hollywood royalty.. ;-) :-P

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

hmm... there's a lot to be said about neutral pacifism.. everyone should try it at least once!

oooh.... you just reminded me.. i should have added

29. Attended Ralph Nader's fundraising dinner at the Washington Press Club.

(My friend was a Green Party supporter, and still is, I think)

The dinner was interesting.. I think I was the only Asian present and I was stuck between these Ivy League snobs who were interested to know what university I attended and was disappointed when I said that I studied in Canada. Ralph was ok-lah.. but his foreign policies were very vague.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

oops.. that was of course, four years ago.. because he's not with the Green Party anymore, is he?

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm Macaddict from Flickr. Yesterday my wife and I watched the Julia Robert documentary and I thought about your work. Very cool indeed. Anyway, I thought I'd drop by and say hey! So, here it is: "Hey!" :)

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi cayce,
karamjit here from PJ. u have an interesting blog & u write very well. that always helps when u want to share your thoughts. i want to thank you for the recommendation for ubud. i will try to book that losmen. will let u know if it still serves an awsomesome brekky. thanks for the shopping tips too.
cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home