Friday, September 03, 2004

The authority of Chinese girls on Indian food



View from my best friend’s apartment balcony in K.L.



I ditched Spanky in a hotel at the Bukit Bintang area on Merdeka Eve and spent a blissful day with my best friend and her boy. She’s my oldest friend that I’ve managed to keep in touch with since Form Two, and I love that whenever we’re together, after being apart for so long, we still connect. She’s like an old shoe, that one. I always feel so comfortable around her.

We tried to watch the fireworks from her balcony at the stroke of midnight but the buildings were blocking the view. Apparently there were more fireworks but I had given up and wandered off to take my shower.

Before we (minus Spanky) ended up at her apartment for the night, we were wandering around B.B. area for a couple of hours. It was getting pretty crazy – there were tons of people in the area, mostly young, rowdy kids spraying silly string at their friends. There was a stage set up on the road and we watched this Chinese girl dancing to one of the showtunes of Chicago. The performance was quite good but the outfit was terrible – so Ah Lian lah! I’d describe the outfit if I could but I was quite scarred by the memory and I forgot what it was like; I just remember that it was so out of place with the mood of the dance piece. The rest of the show was very Ah Beng/Ah Lian – Sheila said that it’s because this area is considered the Chinese area, hence the nature of the performances. The host was this Ah Beng guy with loudly dyed hair, terrible clothes and a funny accent.

I scored a free Merdeka balloon! That was pretty exciting. It was heart-shaped and yellow and had the word, “DIGI” on it. I left it in Spanky’s hotel room because while I was having fun with it, I kept getting entangled with the string. Pretty embarrassing. Sometimes, I shouldn’t be let outside.

(Last night, I accidentally drenched myself with the mosquito spray and my sister wondered with incredulity, “and they leave you alone in the forest?”)

As true Malaysians, we spent Merdeka Day… shopping! On hindsight, it would have been interesting to see the National Day parade since it’s not every day that I spend the 31st of August in K.L. but I would have gagged at the over-stroking of political bighead egos and the crowd would have been terrible anyway.

Oh! And every time, I meet up with my best friend in KL, I always insist that we have Indian food. She knows where the best Indian restaurants are in KL. She and her boy took me to this Indian restaurant, Lotus, in PJ, for breakfast where I blissed out on idli, thosai and puri (or was it apam?). (I LOVE IDLI! It’s so sad that there’s no idli in Kuching! It’s this yoghurt-based Indian dish that’s steamed, I think… It seems the healthiest out of all the Southern Indian dishes).

I asked Sheila about this dish that I was quite keen to try – what my friends here call “deep-fried roti canai”.

“DEEP-FRIED ROTI CANAI????” they exclaimed with such puzzlement. They finally figured out what it was and sorry, girls, it’s really not deep fried roti canai whatsoever. That fluffy thing is called the apam (or was it puri? I forget). Anyway, this is what happens when Chinese girls try to educate a Bidayuh girl on Indian food. We don’t know any better. Ha haa…

Looking forward to spending more time with them when I head back in October for the weekend. We’re planning to check out the flea markets in Bangsar or elsewhere.. Whee.. And not to forget, more Indian food! In the meantime, Sheila’s coming back to Kuching this weekend for a short holiday so I’m also really looking forward to bringing her to the new food places in Kuching. Bing’s a must and we might check out Bollywood café for their deep-fried roti canai.. Haa haaa..

I want this this t-shirt!

9 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger superkumquat said...

Heh, that was what the owner of Bollywood Cafe told us! It's 'puri baji'. And when you girls check out the flea markets, let me know cos I'd love to go too.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

i wonder if he was pulling your leg or their version of puri is actually deep-fried roti canai! no fear, i shall bring the expert and she will have the final say. ;-)

sure, we'd give you a ring when we go flea-market hunting!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger cabiria said...

and where exactly are the best indian restaurants in KL? PJ doesn't really work for me, I am a LRT person over here...

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

My friend says that the Lotus restaurant is very popular amongst the local Indian community but yeah, it's off in the suburbs of PJ which makes it nearly impossible to reach by public transportation.

Other than that, Brickfields is a safe bet since there are tons of Indian restaurants along the streets. And it's easy to get to since KL Sentral is located in the area.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger The Munshi-South Family said...

Restoran Gem in Brickfields (at least, I think that's where it is!) is excellent...some of the best Indian food I've ever had (apart from my mother-in-law's cooking, of course!).

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go on, I'll buy the T shirt for you.


SP

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Jason: thanks for the recommendation! Will check it out when I'm back in KL

SP: my momma told me to never accept anything from strangers....

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Dee said...

Lotus is yumm!I miss puri and idli too.Sighs..I hope soon Kuching will have a place like Lotus.Jem is a good place to go too (Brickfields).It's right opp. the KL Central.There's one place I went somewhere in Jln Telawi but right now,I can't think of the name.Sheesh..or else you could try it out when you go KL again.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Jalan Telawi on Bangsar? Devi's Corner perhaps? I think I've been there with my friends once. The mango lassi was to die for.. and they had great naan!!!!

p/s Curry House in Kuching has mango lassi now! (RM2.50; RM2 just for the lassi) It's pretty good too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home