Sunday, September 12, 2004

Black cape is optional



Port Moody Train (2004)



My talented friend, Mike, took this beautiful photo, and many others – you can check out his photography site here: Michael Russell Photography. Looking at his photos is making me all wistful for British Columbia. *sigh* Each year, I keep promising myself to go back and visit but as the year rolls along, it seems impractical to up and go for a short while. If I were to go back to B.C., I’d like to stay for a couple of months at least! Whee..

The thought of relocating back to B.C. has crossed my mind more than a few times but the prospect of being underemployed or employed in a different field is rather daunting. I’m not sure whether I’ve had enough of Kuching to risk that. Anyway, Kuching isn’t that bad. Ok, I’ve had my occasional whinging but I think travelling once in a while helps ease the claustrophobia.

Speaking of travelling (and there she goes talking about Bali YET AGAIN), much to my dismay, I have found out that the Ubud Writers Festival will conclude the day BEFORE I arrive in Bali. How unlucky can I be? Especially when they have invited one of my favourite authors, Pramoedya Ananta Toer??

Damn you Air Asia and your seductively cheap, yet expensive-to-change-dates tickets!

So anyway, I wrote to the festival organizers about the possibility of volunteering. It was a very enthusiastic, potentially embarrassing e-mail. The only kind I write at any rate. The problem with having TWO Air Asia tickets (Kuching – KL; KL – Bali) is that I could realistically only change one – that is, skip the planned weekend in KL and go straight to Bali to attend the last two days of the Writers Festival.

The problem with only attending two days of the festival is that the organizers couldn’t promise me an actual volunteer position – they did say to “drop by and say hello”, with the possibility of helping out.

With that in mind, I’m not sure that I’m willing to pay the extra money to change my ticket just to “say hello”.

Sigh, what a pity though.

So to make up for it, I plan to have a mournful vigil in some arty Ubud café, with the Mute’s Soliloquy clutched in my grubby hands. Black cape is optional.



addendum: sativa thinks that if my life were to be made into a movie,Cameron Diaz could play me because she's "perky, goofy and always has that silly grin on her face". SILLY GRIN? what silly grin? waaa.. I'd say that the one thing that we both have in common is our amazing singing voice (think My Best Friend's Wedding). Damn you defective supposedly talented Filipino genes. Where's my singing kaki? I feel like another loud, enthusiastic rendition of Eternal Flame comin' on.....

1 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Think Cameron Diaz, think bootie-shaking disco. You go, girl! Shake that bootie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home