Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Have cash, will spend.

In my quest to deplete my travel funds before I reach Bali next month, I bought a pair of Guess sunglasses during my lunch break. I couldn’t help it, there was a voice going, “buy it, buy it!!” That voice belonging to Marita of course. It’s always easier to spend someone else’s money, I figure…

But at least, I could say that I got a very good deal?? And that I really need a pair of sunglasses?? Especially before I head off to Bali???

I’m trying to ignore the fact that a few weeks ago, I plunked down RM300 for a pair of sneakers that I really, really need too. No, seriously. I needed a good pair of jogging shoes. Previously, I had been running on cheapo shoes and figured that I should probably invest in a good pair to save my feet in the long run. The RM300 shoes make a huge difference, I swear. Marita also helped me choose the shoes. She’s a very good person (or bad, depending) to be with when you go shopping.

It’s amazing that despite my whinging about shopping in Kuching, there always something that I want to buy. Hee. And that includes clothes – shocking!

Anyway, the sunglasses are my last splurge, I swear. Or anyway, my last splurge before I head off to KL and Bali. Yes, that’s just next month away. Oh well.


learing about the web of life



Yesterday, Marita and I were at the wildlife center to give a talk and tour to a bunch of brats, I mean the wonderful little children. Marita did the bulk of the work (because this is her current line of work), while I happily watched at the side-lines – until it came to the orangutans. They actually got to meet an orangutan!! There were jokes about Marita being set loose on the poor kiddies, but when it comes down to it, she’s really good with children. Seriously. I think the key is to not be patronizing and to be young at heart. Also, to not care what the kids think of you. Marita had all these qualities and thus, she did an excellent job and they responded well to her. The kids were from various schools, about the ages of 13 to 14. Much to my pleasant surprise, most of them were clued-on and high-spirited. They actually listened and asked intelligent questions. This all makes me more hopeful for the next generation and the future of wildlife conservation in the country. If we could reach to more kids, and work with them on a longer basis, I think we could really turn around the local attitude towards wildlife. For a long while, I was getting really frustrated with my volunteer work because of the personalities involved but now, I feel rejuvenated at the thought of being in an avenue where I could continuously work with young people for a cause I believe in. This is something I could potentially see myself in the long run.


the web of life game



Last night, I was asked to consider a position as head of a conservation unit of an ngo based in KL by someone who would become my boss if I were to accept it. The thought of being asked was very flattering, and there’s so much potential but the timing’s off right now. I rather see my current project to completion rather than to hand it over to someone else. It’s MY baby! I can’t desert it! Sigh, we were going to do surveys via a heli around this time of the year but after the recent heli crashes in Sarawak, it’s not going to happen. Anyway, the results from heli surveys elsewhere in Borneo have been proven to be very variable and it very much depends on the accuracy of the observers. So back on the ground I go. But not for a while yet. I get a reprieve from the field to work on data analysis and write-up for the next couple of months.

Which means spending a lot more time in town, with all that temptation to go shopping. Sigh, my bank account was safer when I was working in the field.

6 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hee hee. I did NOT say 'buy it, buy it'! You've just decided to give my voice to that one you already have in your head.

Aww, thanks for the vote of confidence for me.

Plus, you are not spending that much. In fact, you're one of the most frugal people I know.

And that decision that you made about the job, it was the right one.

Here's to wildlife conservation in Borneo! *clink*

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

I still want to buy that cute white Charlotte York-style dress! Argh!

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Dee said...

The joys of retail theraphy...hehehe.Saw the article on paper about the Matang trip you and Marita did.Great job~and you know what I just thought?A special camp for kids (yearly) on wildlife/nature conservation..just like what you did,would be great.If ever you feel like doing so,I won't mind lending a helping hand.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

marita: yea to us! ;-)

joyce: well, you really don't need the dresslah.. and i'm sure that you can find more beautiful dresses in KL..

dee: actually, i think they are planning to do this yearly, or perhaps work on the kids that had already attended the first camp. HOWEVER, thinking of doing this through my volunteer work too on a smaller scale.. and i would love to have enthusiastic volunteers!!

btw, the article on the paper? not on us really.. just on the organizers of WHOM i must stress that we DO NOT work for. :-) they asked our ngo to help out. i met that reporter, she ate most of the kids' chicken. honestly!

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

well, it wasn't planned, that's fer sure... otherwise, you would have been with us lah!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

I think I'm slowly giving in to the temptation to buy that cute dress lah. I can't help it!

Can't wait to see you wear your new sunnies *grins* I'm using my new glasses liau. I like it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home