Monday, September 06, 2004

Monday morning


Monday morning, originally uploaded by miss cayce.

I refuse to wear dreary colours on Monday mornings. Today, I have a cheery red cardigan on, and a flower clip beneath my loosely tied chignon. A knee-length skirt and a white on white embroidered sleeveless blouse completes today's look of inspired feminity.

I am staring in despair at my office desk. As always, it is messy. Papers and books all over the desk, scattered yellow stick-ons, an elephant made out of rope from Thailand gifted to me by Marita, a mat from New Mexico, batik cloth from Indonesia, a feathered toucan pen, framed monkey poster, framed Australian aboriginal art, postcards from Thailand, New York, and Ghana, a woven rattan basket containing receipts and namecards...

Despite the disorder, there is a system at work. I know where my datasheets are, and where they belong. As long as no one else touches my desk, I work in peace.

I need to reorganize my desk drawers however. Old photos, postcards, a box of oil pastels, postmarked stamps, all these should be somewhere else but at work.

Monday mornings in the field are a different matter. I wear dark colours, shapeless clothes, leech socks, hiking boots... armed with datasheets and binoculars. I am grubby and cold. Sometimes, I wish I am back in my army hammock, curled up in my sleeping bag.. but other times, I am glad that I am part of a beautiful scenery like this..

5 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Monday ? What Monday ?

Not have to worry about working on Mondays. I'm off on Mondays :-).

Well, at least till end of October anyway...

Have a good day.

And I really enjoyed your last post. I love how you write about something as mundane and ordinary as a bus ride and make it sound so magical.

It's a great read.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

To quote a certain big, orange cat: "I hate Mondays". LOL But my Mondays have been steadily made better when I know it ends with two episodes of Without A Trace each week.

By the way, from what you described, you look very nice! ;)

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. Wish I had a field job like yours. Instead of having to spend my time setting deadlines, monitoring outputs, and giving advice to caseworkers on how particular articles apply, etc,...generally not being such a misery guts.

There's always a list of things to take into account whenever we make decisions, so yeah, that image is again another triumph of your photography skills.

Keep up d good work, Miss Cayce.

SP

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But you have a big hairy ape to cheer you up and remind you of the jungle every Monday...*looks at Cayce hairily*

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Desmond Douglas Jerukan said...

Going into the jungle once a while is fun. Staying in the jungle for a week, looking for rhinocerous (which i did during my USM Years)by following their dung trail is definitely not fun - so the trauma has made me allergic to jungle trekking - though i love the environment, i will think twice of staying in the forest covers (Do watch Anaconda 1 & 2). It depends what you are doing there :). But the jungle scenery in your photo looks inviting.I will only go in if its durian season :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home