Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Sunday's imagery

He was curious about my camera, and I just had to take his photo (after asking for his permission of course) because he had such a lovely face. He was so tickled to see himself on the cam screen later on.





I also had to take this guy's photo - he looked so much like a hobbit, especially with his red hat! As D. exclaimed, "he's Gaffer!"





A hottie from the village. So cute!





Traditional herb medicine being made before my eyes.





We later went for a hike - boys being boys, took us on a rather difficult walk only to realize later on our way down that there was a much easier path, although it did lead us to the back of someone's house (that we stopped by, had lemang, and chatted with). We also ended up in someone's corn plantation, which I trampled more than a couple of plants in my haste to escape a sudden downpour (I was worried about my camera). I still feel guilty about this - big stupid clumsy feet!

Anyway, I wasn't thinking and had don a blue shirt for the day. Needless to say, I was such a huge favourite for the mossies. I had about thirty bites on each arm! Ouch.





Hiking in a secondary, limestone forest is not as fun as it seems. Usually, forests that have been disturbed by humans are often plagued with mossies but once you get into primary forest - gosh, it's so wonderful. No mossies! And such large trees with impressive buttresses. Sadly, such primary forests are a rarity in logged-riddled Sarawak.

We also came across this girnomous fish trap. D. kidded me saying that it was built for crocodiles, to which I instantly replied without thinking, "oh really?"





My grandfather used to put out these traps in the drains outside the house. During my childhood, the drain was filled with wonders: guppies, catfish and even turtles and snapping terrapins. I was so excited whenever it rained because it meant floods, which sometimes meant fish and terrapins ending up in our garden. Nowadays, it's just trash that lives in the drains; it's really sad.

I wonder if it's a sign of getting older?? "Things were much better in my time!!..."

5 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger cabiria said...

hey
i feel so bad, yesterday when we were speaking my phone ran out of bateries, and thecharger was in the checked in lugage. so sorry. i still had bout 4 rm worth of credit, which is now useless. am in transit in amsterdam and my webmail is not connecting, so am sending you this message via blog. felt bad bout just hanging up on you yesterday. will write you more when i am home in the wonderful land of free internet at home!
lets

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

awww.. that's ok - i'm just glad that i got to speak to you for a while anyway. miss you lots!! i definitely want to see you again one day - either in brazil, malaysia or elsewhere! keep in touch!!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

yes, it's sad.. but at the very least, I have wonderful memories of a charming childhood...

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kuching. What the deal here? Post on the other Erik's website? Not mine? Playing favourites?

lol!

I have a few minutes to spare here in lovely Singapore, so I thought i'd try to catch up on a few things. I'll have to post something later tonight...

From 1degree, 14minutes North,
Erik, the Vancouverite

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Oy, Vancouver

That's what you get for not replying to my e-mail. mwaa ha haa. Seriously, I didn't think you cared. heee..

I pledge to write annoying comments on your blog from now on.

Hug a merlion for me, will ya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home