Friday, February 18, 2005

Before sunset

Omigosh. Before Sunset is my new favourite movie.

I just love the entire movie: their long conversations without any awkward long pauses, the meat of their conversations, their close connection to each other, her apartment!!, her song for Jesse, her dancing and being lost in the moment of a memory, the ending (!!!)... I was crying towards the end. It was just so.. wow. Amazing. Bittersweet. So real. I could connect to Julie Delphy's character although she seems to be a bit more screwed up than me. Hee. But when she started talking about how when you're young and stupid, you think you're going to have all these amazing connections to lots of people but in reality, you'd only end up with a handful of real human connections throughout your life. And once you find that connection, and lose it, it's so traumatizing. It hurts. I'm not talking about JUST romantic connections, but rather deeper connections that go beyond the fleeting passion or lust, or close friendships.

It's sad, because lately, I don't feel like I have this connection with the people in my life right now. Sure, close friends a-plenty but.. something that's so amazing and deep and true to the people involved? Sadly no. But it's not that I'm unhappy with my life - I think my life is wonderful with these amazing opportunities, and I feel that I'm on the right path.

I think most people make the mistake of thinking that a romantic interest would provide the connection. In a lot of cases, perhaps yes, but not always.

I also love that bit when she says that every man that she's been with, ends up getting married to someone else.

If there's a club, I'm a bona fide member.

Nothing can beat the ex who ended up getting married in about six months, and having a baby on the way after being with me. Or the only long-term relationship I've ever had, where the guy ends up cheating on me when we were separated, and ends up with a long-term relationship with another girl. They're at least four years strong in their relationship. Oh yeah, that's wonderful. Looking for the love of your life? Hook up with me, and I can guarantee that you'd find her soon right after our break-up.

I don't think I am as cynical as Julie's character about love but admittedly, I've become more fatalistic about the duration of relationships in general, including friendships.

I just so love her apartment!! (talk about wanting to move to Paris right now and living in a wonderfully cramped one-room apartment, filled with stacks of books on the floor and tons and tons of CDs!) I miss living on my own, I really do. I know that in the near future, I'm going to try my dardnest to live on my own again. While I do love living with my family, I also feel that I'm in a stasis of some sort.. You're not really an adult, and you feel disinclined to break out of the 'kid' role that you're in. Why not when everything's so comfortable? But it's also.. not real. I don't want to be one of those people who live with their parents until they get married and move in with their husband/wife. I want another period of my life, living ALONE. And I don't mean living with a boyfriend either.

There are so many aspects about their prolonged conversation I could go on about. Jesse's admission about not being able to feel content with his life, that he's always wanting for something more.

Julie: "but if you don't want something, doesn't it mean that you're depressed?"

I have a feeling that I'd be watching this movie again this weekend.

6 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Is it DVD or VCD?If VCD can I borrow it from you?Got Finding Neverland but never took the time to watching it,since it is with my Sis.

As for staying alone,I agree with you.I'd like that phase too when I am able to do so

Sunday's all set by the way.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Sorry, Dee - it's on DVD. Any chance you can still watch it on DVD format?

 
At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT movie.
-char

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

Before Sunset is the sequel to Before Sunrise (the same actors but younger), which is equally amazing. You should watch both back-to-back :)

I was amazed at how the characters in Before Sunset just spoke and spoke and spoke...now THAT is an amazing relationship :)

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Char, YES!!.. :-)

Amelia, yes, when I first heard about Before Sunset, I was confused because I had remembered a similar movie way back with the same actors. I was so surprised when I found out that it was the sequel to that movie!

I haven't found the DVD for Before Sunrise but I do, do want to watch the two movies back to back!!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Dermot said...

it's very interesting to see the two. I remember when I first saw Before Sunrise, I was more or less the same age as the characters and while I wasn't wandering around beautiful cities like Vienna, I could really connect with those two people, but then I saw the film a couple of years ago and it didn't work as well anymore, I'd changed while the characters had stayed the same.
Naturally when Before Sunset came out I had to see it and I loved it once again, the characters had grown up just like I had, they'd moved on and once again they were speaking my language....
A great movie...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home