Thursday, February 24, 2005

Daddy's got a gun.

So I figure, my neighbours have been hoarding their money all year for a couple of nights of thrill where they let loose what appears to be a small banana republic's armament of weapons of mass destruction (so 2003!!), or as they say in dem parts, firecrackers.

The first day of Chinese New Year was insane. The entire neighbourhood went nuts, even before the stroke of midnight. Although, it was beautiful experience, when you're not avoiding misfired fireworks. I had climbed on top of the roof and watched the fireworks, from near and far. I could turn a complete 360 degrees, and still see fireworks! It was grander than the Symphony of Fire, but of course, thoroughly illegal.

Last night was the last day of Chinese New Year, and my neighbours didn't disappoint. The fireworks were cool but I dislike the firecrackers that go BOOOM! and make your heart skip a beat. They also really agitated my dad quite a bit that at one point, he yelled, "Cayce! Bring me my gun!"

(I wish I could say that I'm making all this up....)

The gun itself isn't very exciting. It's this ancient shotgun that's buried under my mom's knitting yarn, battered luggage and worn stuffed toys. My dad will never use it ever - I know him too well. You'd just have to get his sense of humour - for example, when he's driving, and especially if he has a new audience, he likes to contemplate out loud whether or not he should run over pedestrians. The scary part is that I've picked up the habit and whenever I have friends in my car, I find myself asking out loud, "shall I hit him? Shall I? Shall I??"

Hee, it's fun. You should try it.

Oh, I'm heading off to the Baram tomorrow! For a week! I am so excited!!!! See those exclamation marks?? It's my first time in the Baram and we'd be staying in a Penan village - so ya, be jealous of me. It will also be cool (weather and experience-wise) and I shall take lots of pictures. But I am not looking forward to the village airport where they yell out your weight across the room, to the glee of the villagers clustered in the small building. I swear, it's the bricks in my bag, it's not all me!

12 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

My dad has his hereditary Iban warrior knife somewhere at the back of his closet. :)

Upon inspection, there was no sign of a gun. Yet.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

You're Iban, Amelia? That's really cool. :-)

(feels sorry about the Iban vs. Bidayuh comment - ignore me, I can be quite competitive sometimes)

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have a good trip to Baram. That should be interesting and to my knowledge, quite different from where you've been before.

I could be wrong though so don't take my word for it.

Have a good trip.

My dad has a shotgun too. If I can inherit it, I'll decommision it and replace it with a semiauto one with folding stock. Better to shoot criminals with.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Are you an American, Mac? ;-)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like guns. What can I say ?

*Disclaimer: Despite my interest in ballistic weaponry, I do not condone the use of force, lethal or otherwise.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Off topic*

I'm suddenly wondering about how many bloggers we know who play music.

Do you know anyone ?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Weeeellll... despite my many years of studying piano, I can't say that I really know music. I *want* to learn to play the guitar - kinda two different things going on.. :-D

Marita used to play the violin but she sounds great on the guitar (self-taught!) but she doesn't play often. The others, I don't think they currently play any music instruments although I'm sure, as your regular Asian kid, have had some sort of music education in their childhood.

Why? Thinking of starting up a band amongst the bloggers? Oh god, I think it would sound awful. ;-)

 
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip to Ulu Baram, take a couple of pics !


Mac: Isn't the law on weaponry strict ???You may wish to have in your possession a semi automatic rifle, but you'll need the endorsement of at least the local Police Superintendent and the Commissioner, and even then, the government will not supply a calibre higher than .22 semi auto rifle ?
As far as I am aware .223, 30.06, and 7.62 rifles are banned, as well as 9mm, and 45 ACP pistols.

Well, there's always those beat em up games...

SP

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amelia,

I've got this funny feeling that we've met before ???


SP

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Nick-ed@keksilang said...

Cool! Bring back LOTS of pics!

*off topics*
I still like to own an MP5, the ones the S.E.A.L.S use. Hehe!

The storeroom in my house has a few parang's and machete's hanging around. And apparently there's this stick that my dad said if i hit a guy on the head with it, he'd turn into a mindless baffon.
*glees*

Kuching music bloggers meetup? Cool!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Amelia said...

Cayce: I'm Iban AND Bidayuh :)

SP: I wouldn't know if we've met before :)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

infrontofyournose: that's funny.. so when do I collect my new luxury car??

Amelia: aaahh!!.. I knew that I liked you for some reason.. ;-)

all the guys talking about guns on my blog: stop talking about guns on my blog! thank you. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home