Monday, February 21, 2005

Hola!

I don't usually start my Monday mornings, sitting next to a guy in handcuffs but I believe in a little variety now and then.

I was in court today, for my second futile attempt to serve as a witness on a case. I really don't understand how the law works and how this case could be dragged on for almost four years. This time, the defendant ran off to Indonesia although we had sit around for almost two hours before the case was formally adjourned yet again. SUCH a waste of time!! Aaahh..

I have found a Spanish study buddy!! Happy, happy, joy, joy. Our first session last weekend went quite well. Dee's a kindred spirit so I really look forward to spending more time with her.

One of the reasons why I want to learn Spanish is so I could read Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books in his native language. He's one of my favourite authors, ever since I first read 'Chronicle of a Death foretold' in college. In the meantime, I'm excited because I just picked this up: "Living to tell the tale", which is "fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, memoir, poetry, drama" (wow!). If you're wondering, it's his autobiography.

Looking forward to the day when I get proficiently fluent in Spanish, and then I get to tick off an item on my to-do list, yea! It's such a friendly community, I've had strangers cheering me on in pursuit of my goals. They've got neat features where you can upload graphics for each entry. You can even add your flickr photos and blog your goals but I haven't been able to get either working for me. So what's your 43things to do??

12 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Si,... los libros que Gabriel Garcia Marquez redacto. Personalmente prefiero este titulo de Marquez, mejor conocido como "Amor en los tiempos de Colera".

Bueno, que mas puedo decir, es una de sus joyas literarias, que ha sido recibido con bastante afan entre otras en la comunidad latina y hispana.

I knew my degree in Spanish literature was of some use. I hope you enjoy Gabriel Garcia Marquez as much as I have done. And good luck with your Spanish, Miss Cayce.

SP

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

You're not yanking my chain, are you? And where's that e-mail?

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still writing that long e-mail, Miss Cayce. In all honesty, I have 2 degrees, it's just that the main bulk of my specialty is Literature, (which reminds me, I seriously need to brush up on other areas of my life, and my translations).

Anyway, espero que desempenas tus nuevas tareas de estudiante con afan y se conoce que la lengua espanola tiene cierta reglas en cuanto de la ortografia. Bueno ya veras, para mi fue un trabajo penoso con fases de solapamiento, pero aparte de eso, tuve la oportunidad de conocer el mundo latino con mas profundidad.

My keyboard isn't compatible with the Spanish alphabet, so where I was suppose to insert spanish characters, I couldn't. (I may need to reconfigure the language options on XP).

Till the next post, Miss Cayce :-)

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two should go out already!! - char

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Dermot said...

You're very ambitious, hope you succeed with your plans.
I remember discussing Gabriel Garcia Marquez with a Spanish friend of mine as I too had this notion that it would be good to read him in the original language but what I found interesting was that she said it was a little difficult for her to read his books because he writes in Latin American Spanish...
So when you have some Spanish you might think of getting some Latin American Spanish too, it's certainly easier to pronouce that Spanish Spanish!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

Hey - I'm reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez in English now, so far I'm loving it, would love to eventually read it in Spanish (crossing fingers).

Initially wanted to take a Spanish language class this year but couldn't due to other commitments, so I guess have to postpone this self-improvement activity to later :)

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Is it possible for me to sit in for one of your sessions ?

I'm kinda interested in getting familiar with Spanish actually.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger superkumquat said...

actually, i want to write letters too. i thought of doing that with you girls but haven't had time yet. that's why i sent cards first.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

char: har har!

dermot: that's a good point, and yes, I am ambitious. Let's see how far I go with this. :-) One of the reasons why I decided to take up Spanish is that I was hoping to travel/live in South America (at least for a year) one day. When I do reach that goal, hopefully my Latin American Spanish would be proficient enough to read GGM's novels!

Amelia: yes, I was quite happy to see the One Hundred Years of Solitude on your blog! (helped me decide to add you on my blogroll!)

Mac: maybe one day. :-) I have to admit, I like it the way it is right now, just the two of us - that way, no distractions and we both know that the two of us are really keen on achieving this goal. Although it would be immensely helpful if we had a Spanish speaker with us as well!

Froot: I've sent you a postcard already! First of the many more to come!

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Dee said...

I had a great time myself!It's nice to have a study buddy that has the same goal not just in the language but at least in other areas.The dreams!!Cheer on for Montreal!!England.!! Oh,I found my old lessons so we could use that too..Hehehehe..

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

yea!! Those lessons should be helpful in terms of giving our sessions more structure!

I'm very happy to meet someone here with the same mind-set. Hurrah for making new friends!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Never mind then. I get it if you're not comfortable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home