Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Today was brought to you by the letter G, the number 4, and a giant pink elephant.

Far be it for me to be a grammar queen but the misuse of "borrow" and "lend" is as grating to me as fingernails to a blackboard. As well as the misuse of "it's" and "its". I don't have perfect grammar myself but if most people could practise the basic English grammar skills, I would be a happy person.

When I listed "practise yoga" as one of my goals on 43things.com, I was very surprised to find out that I was the only person with this goal. Surely, there must be other people interested in yoga! So I figured that they would have listed it differently, for example, "learn yoga".

And then I came across this: "practice yoga". 182 people wanted to "practice yoga".

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't practise a verb, and practice a noun? For example, I want to go to yoga practice. Or I want to practise yoga.

I don't understand how 182 people did not notice the mistake, or worse, did not care!!

Although, I'm starting to doubt myself now. Maybe I'M the one who's wrong. After all, it's the power of the masses vs. me - hmm.. what does googlefight.com say??

(I win! Yea!)

p/s do not click on the above link. It is very addictive.

10 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Nick-ed@keksilang said...

I ignored the warning and now I am hooked on it like coffee.

Willpower suffer 2d3 penalty!

heeeee.........

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Whatever you do, don't try Bidayuh vs. Iban.

I was very upset.

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Nick-ed@keksilang said...

Too Late! Argh!

Well, at least we're on the same boat!
:P

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Amelia said...

The best way to get someone to do something is to type `do not...'.

I did and methinks me will be addicted. And yes, I typed Bidayuh vs Iban and was perplexed @_@

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

It's a conspiracy!!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I notice that you also want to learn guitar. I am in thunderous agreement that you should.

Guitar music is cool. Women who play, even cooler.

Have you started yet ?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

No, not yet unfortunately. What about yourself? Do you play?

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried a different theme. I went for Bidayuh vs Melanau, Bidayuh vs Kayan, Bidayuh vs Ngaju, Bidayuh vs Chinese, Bidayuh vs Punan, Bidayuh vs Kenyah.

Then I did a comparison. Melanau vs Iban
(guess who the winner:-), Melanau vs Kayan, Melanau vs Kadazan, Melanau vs Banjar, Melanau vs Orang Selat, Melanau vs Malay....

Googlefight is an obsession. Those of you who are the least bit patriotic
or just plain Tribal should do this for a laugh....

Now I wonder what the result is for

Irish vs English ???

SP

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Nick-ed@keksilang said...

We should do a meet up. And bring a guitar along! At least i can still strum some simple chords. Mac is WAY better than me.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

SP: but who really cares about the Irish & English? :-)

Nick: a meet-up with music sounds like fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home