Saturday, February 19, 2005

Unleasing my imagination

Oh, I just watched another wonderful movie - Finding Neverland. Had me crying in the end too. It's also one of my new favourites. I know, it seems like I have new favourites all the time. Not necessarily, I just tend to write about the ones that affect me the most. Casting was great - and I've always been a huge fan of Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet so a movie starring both is just simply superb. (and with Julie Christie? Wow) I was enthralled throughout. Like Peter said to Barrie about his play, the movie was "magical".

Talk about unleashing your muse. I have lapsed in my drawings for a very long while, and now, I'm itching to go back and draw my birds once more, thanks to the amazing visuals of this movie (particularly the Neverland scene). Or to just sit back in the sole company of my imagination and write. I've realized lately that I am so appreciative of being in my own company. I like people, but I also like being by myself, a lot. Maybe I'm starting to discover my introvertness, who knows. But I rather be alone, than with company and feeling alone (and yes, that was also a line in Before Sunset but she said lover, and I mean anyone else as well).

Speaking of muses, I recommend Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock. If you love the idea of a book that offers more than just words, but rather texture and rich images along with a wonderful story, then this book is for you. Like Before Sunset, it allows you in the world of its characters, in a very intimate way: through reading lush home-made postcards and letters. You feel like you're intruding, like you're going through someone's private correspondence.

I was just thinking how the art of communication by letters seems lost these days. Even the word, letter, if you say it often, starts sounding strange (or is it just me?). It's so easy and very convenient to send e-mails instead. But there's something about a letter that an e-mail can't replace; letters are so much more personable. And I love stamps! Last year, when I was big on Bookcrossing.com and was sending book parcels all over the world, I was very particular about the stamps I wanted. Every single stamp on each parcel was carefully choosen. I'm very particular to wildlife stamps but I also love the lighthouse series Pos Malaysia had back then. Even the act of putting the parcels into the mail-slot was a secret thrill. I would then leave the post office, imagining the parcel's long journey across the seas. This sounds bizarre to you, doesn't it?

You know what, I would like to start writing letters once more. I'd have time to write long letters, especially when I go back to the field soon! Who wants to correspond with me?

11 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger cabiria said...

in Before Sunset what I love the most was that little monologue of hers on how she sees the little details in everyone she had a relation ship with, and what is lost is lost. ANd how for her people are irreplaceble and how she hates that people move on from relationships like they're changing cereals.

 
At 3:06 AM, Blogger cabiria said...

in Before Sunset what I love the most was that little monologue of hers on how she sees the little details in everyone she had a relation ship with, and what is lost is lost. ANd how for her people are irreplaceble and how she hates that people move on from relationships like they're changing cereals.

Oh, and I want to correspond with you, old fashioned way!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Apai Salleh said...

Dear Miss Cayce,

Thank you for your request for further correspondence.

SP

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Lets - I forgot to mention that part too! But yes, I really did enjoy that monologue as well. It's a beautiful way of remembering past relationships.

Will e-mail you!

SP: I dunno man, after the whole speedo threat.. And who can vouch for your non-axe murderer traits?

The funny thing is that I'm probably more inclined to write to a "stranger" from a distant land, rather than a stranger who's in the same country. The former is less likely to peer in my windowlah. Heee. Sorry, don't take it the wrong way. If you want to write to me, send me a good ol' fashioned e-mail!

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heaven forbid Cayce !! I was just playing up with our banter earlier on ! hehehehe Thanks. I shall send very long letters to you via e-mail :-) heehehehe !!with the letters S.W.A.L.K sealing each e-mail heheheheh

As for the Speedos, well....:-) I'll wear
a jockstrap instead, that better ?? hehehehehe ....or maybe a pair of jeans
hehehe

I have not seen the daylight as I am somewhere very cold right now, and you're several hours ahead of me. Enjoy
the afternoon.

Yours in the morning dew

SP heheheh

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

hmm.. the mystery of SP depends..

you're either

1. 19 years old, bumming around in a university

2. old, fat and married with screaming kids, bumming around somewhere

3. my brother - you share the same initials. in that case, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

If I'm several hours ahead of you, then you're not in Australia or New Zealand. Because I live close to the equator, "somewhere very cold" could be anywhere really.

But anyway, I'm sure you're no.2

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Nick-ed@keksilang said...

Ahh. Coressponding by mail. Brings back memories of my time when i had pen-pals.

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Cayce,

I told you I was thirty one, hehehehehe,
that much you should at least know. Now,
if you don't mind , I'll start penning that looooooooooonggggg e-mail :-)


SP

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm, as for your quick 3 guesses, hmmm
none of the above, sorry to disappoint. Also, unlike some fervent rednecks and their predecessors, and a large number of the Royals, I don't believe in marriage within the family....:-) and that includes amongst first and second cousins,...hahahahehe so rest assured, I am not your brother hehehehe


Your pen pal who needs a shower right now

SP :-)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger superkumquat said...

:-( i really wanted to watch 'finding neverland'...now i'll have to find the DVD.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Edward said...

I keep meaning to watch "Finding Neverland", but don't get around to it.

I like corresponding via letter and I will take you up on your offer. I think letters are interesting because they preserve a certain formality of language that gets lost in email correspondence.

We have become a civilization of emoticons and shortcuts. Its faster, but the beauty of language is lost that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home