Thursday, April 07, 2005

Home alone

The family left for KL today.

Never thought much about it but this is the first time that they've left me alone in the house for days. Apparently, the thought crossed their mind as well. They asked whether I wanted someone to stay with me while they were gone.

"NO. I'm fine by myself, thanks. I'm 28 - I think I can handle being home alone."

"Let's have Uncle Patrick* stay over."

"No! I've lived on my own before for years. I go off for weeks in the field where I am in charge of older male strangers. I've travelled on my own and slept in strange places. Each month, I drive long distances by myself. I think I can handle staying home by myself for three days, thanks."

"Bernadette, I can ask Bernadette to stay over."

!@%%*@$#!^


Much to my relief, they finally backed down. Or so I thought - some dude is "gardening" whilst they're away. And apparently, I am stupid because they have gotten someone else to cook the dogs' food.

Hmph. Looks like I'm stuck with the flighty, helpless daughter/sister label.





*60+ year old relative who's barely 5 feet tall, has no teeth and has been out of it since the last century. And he is supposed to make me feel safer???

3 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

*seconds andrea*

oi, woman, tried your MP3 player yet?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Dee said...

you have an mp3 player??ooOooooohhh...treat the home alone part/experience as a "getaway in your own space".

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

sativa, joyce: sighh... no uncle patrick but had someone stay over nevertheless. bit of a long story. had to go to two police stations yesterday (saturday) afternoon.. no, joyce, i had forgotten about my mp3 player but will try it out definitely this weekend. thanks for asking though!

DeeM: turns out the home alone experience was not what i expected! lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home