Wednesday, April 27, 2005

When guys try too hard

I’ve had discussions about this before with my girlfriends – about guys who try too hard, too fast, and end up being Mr. Scary Potentially Stalker Kind of Guy. Just when I think that I've met them all, another guy comes along to prove that there are more clueless guys out there.. Therefore, I am only blogging the following as a public service on what NOT to do when you're interested in a chick. (Hee.. it's also kinda funny)

Yesterday, I was approached by this guy who said I looked so familiar and asked whether I’ve been on tv.

“You know, NTV??”

“MTV??” *confused*

“No, no.. NTV7.”

“…. eh?”

He then rapidly fired personal questions about where I was really from (WHY does everyone ask me this? I’m LOCAL lah), where I lived (yeah right), what I did for a living, the ubiquitous local question of “what race are you?”, etc.. etc..

“I would really like to get to know you better – let’s go have drinks!”

“Err.. no. I have to be somewhere right now” (anywhere but here, buddy).

“Can I have your phone number? What’s your phone number?”

*a bit speechless* “Look, I don’t know you – I don’t just give out my phone numbers to anybody.”

“Ohh.. don’t be scared of me. I’m more afraid of you!”

Oh, please. I wasn’t afraid of him – for one thing, he was slightly shorter than I was. I could totally take him on. Anyway, I just found him really annoying!!

He did everything wrong, methinks. So here’s some advice for the guys out there: if you like a girl, don’t rush things man. Take time to get to know the girl and don’t fire off questions like it’s an interview on the VERY FIRST meeting.

Believe me, if an Orlando Bloom look-alike committed the same offense, I would still be turned off, and rather freaked out.

Although I do sympathize with guys (AND girls) out there who are looking for that special someone. Maybe it’s just me but I think living in this town is especially hard to meet someone that you could connect with, romantically or even platonically. I’m not claiming to have all the answers on how a guy should successfully woo a girl although I pretty much know what works for me and buddy, THAT didn’t work for me.

Points for effort but meh, better luck next time.

Oh, the Flirt Blog is interesting – go read. Bwaa ha haa.. it has a link to a woman’s experience of speed-dating. Needless to say, I WON’T be doing that EVER again. *shudder*

8 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Resurrected said...

lol. sorry to hear about your horror story. and i'll bookmark 'em links, thanks.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger eyeris said...

ooooooo. I learnt long time ago (when I was 15!) not to

1) use corny pick-up lines
2) ask stupid questions

Better to just chill and chat. more fun that way. :)

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Bertha said...

LOL! Have this guy not learnt ever to use the 'you look familiar' pick up line?! Jeez!

Though to be honest, I don't think it has to do with the town specifically. It's the same everywhere, even in big cities. I just think as people get more desperate to connect out of some deep-seated fear of being alone, they get more desperate....reminds me of an Angel episode actually.

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has recently come to my attention that disinterest on the males behalf may be a very good strategy for a successful 'pickup'. Feigning a lack of sexual interest recently resulted in delicious pairing between myself and a canadian I met in Bali.

What'd you think, cacye? Is it an evolutionarily stable strategy?

Over and out from Vancouver,
Erik

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger narrowband said...

read also a related artile:

http://djspinnet.org/wp/index.php?p=162#comments

i think we guys are getting the signal real loud and clear now :D

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger SIB KingFisher said...

It's great to see you back.

Poor guy, he's such a loser.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Resurrected: you're welcome. :-)

eyeris: we need more guys like you around. :-)

Bertha: oh yeah, I agree with you. Although I was actually thinking in the lines of... "finding less people in Kuching that someone like me could connect with, compared to say, somewhere else" Although I didn't want to intentionally incite another blog drama about how I apparently think local guys are lame. Insert rolling eye emoticon here.

Erik: isn't this the same Canadian chick who annoyed you after a while? Heee.. Hmm... appearing disinterested sometimes work - after all, it's more appealing (some how) than over eagerness but I guess sometimes, one gets tired of the games after a while and it's nice to meet a guy who tells you up front that he likes you (and this only works when you like him back). Hee.

Did you ever take that Evolutionary Psych. course with Crawford? Interesting stuff, not that I believe all of it! Kinda messy when you try to explain complex human behaviour through evolutionary strategies.. Sometimes, a caveman is just a caveman. lol

narrowband: Thanks for the link - it was an interesting read!

Fredy: what a nice thing to say! Thank you. :-)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thump him! Thump him!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home