Tuesday, May 17, 2005

My disastrous non-date OR What not to say to me OR Don’t be this guy, part two

11th item of what NOT to say to me: “I wanted to see a pissed-off Cayce.”

Obviously, if you were to utter the above example, you do not know me very well. I do not like that at all. It’s dumb and immature to intentionally piss off people, especially me!

Tweedledee is about one of the strangest persons I know, and that’s not necessarily a compliment. I’m beginning to wonder now whether he’s just more socially inept than actually weird.

He recently asked whether I wanted to watch a movie with him. I had taken one look at his eager face, and I said yes, mostly out of, well, pity. But I agreed to the movie with all intentions of it NOT being a date – it was just ‘hanging out’. After all, he is essentially a nice guy and we have mutual friends. To be honest, I do not feel comfortable around him and I think it’s because he’s not comfortable with himself. He’s always excusing himself (humility can only go so far!) and has the unfortunate tendency to giggle at the end of every sentence that he utters. To me, it feels like that he’s not very confident in himself, which is definitely not attractive. Perhaps I’m wrong and that’s just his personality tics but when I’m with him, I’m slightly uneasy myself. But I wanted to give him a chance, to get to know him better as a person so I thought the movie wasn’t such a bad idea.

He had arrived early at the cinema and had sent an sms saying that he’d wait for me at the basement. Thing is that the cinema’s on the top floor and the parking lot is above the basement. Doesn’t make sense for me to park my car, go down to collect him at the basement and arrive at the cinema together. So I told him that it would be better to wait for me at the cinema.

“No. I will wait here at the basement.”

By then, it was already fifteen minutes before the movie was supposed to start. I sent him an sms saying that I had just arrived and that I would wait for him at the cinema. I mean, come on. I don’t know what was going through his head when he adamantly decided to stay in the basement.

Ten minutes.

Five minutes.

Previews are rolling.

I sent another sms saying that the movie’s starting. He replied saying that he would come up (???).

Another five minutes.

I was really getting antsy. I don’t like going into a movie theater late ESPECIALLY when it’s for a stupid reason like he decided that he wanted to hide in the basement???

When he arrived and I had asked, “Where were you?”, he uttered the 11th item of NOT what to say to me, with a grin on his face.

You know the saying, be careful what you wish for??

It wasn’t funny, and I told him so before walking into the theater. Of course by then, the movie had started and it was dark – we couldn’t see the aisle numbers. He just stood there, not moving, which kinda irritated me further. I mean, take action, man! Even if it’s the wrong action, do something. Don’t just stand there passively! Well, I did something. It was too dark to see where our seats were (they’re assigned during ticket sales) but the theater was fairly empty so I picked an aisle in random and plunked myself down somewhere in the middle.

He hesitated for a long while before following my lead, to which he sat two seats away from me.

The movie? Oh, it had its entertaining moments. Orli really looks nice and manly as a brunette, with facial hair - wheee. And hey! It’s Dr. Bashir!

After the credits started rolling, and I reached for my wallet to pay him for my ticket (BECAUSE THIS IS NOT A DATE), he exclaimed, “oh, don’t worry about it” and dashed off, leaving me in the theater. I’d like to say that I was flabbergasted at his rude exit but at this point, I had figured, evening = big bust = anything can happen.

But oh, this is definitely not a date!!!! So I chased him down and insisted on paying for my ticket. After that, there wasn’t really much to say. I didn’t know what to say. I was done being annoyed at him; I was back to kinda feeling all weirded out and wishing that I had never said yes in the first place. We got into the elevator with the other movie-goers. Nothing was said until I got off on my floor where my car was parked (ABOVE THE BASEMENT) and we said our goodbyes.

Good grief – thank goodness it wasn’t a date; otherwise it would have been a bigger disaster. Or maybe it was for him, I don’t know.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a bizarre sms from mutual friend, TweedleDUM, who had asked “Mr. Unique” whether he had called me yet. It doesn’t take an Einstein to figure out who “Mr. Unique” could be. There are only so many players in this wannabe telenovella. TweedleDUMDUM then sent another sms, claiming that the previous sms was not meant for me, but rather, “Mr. Unique” and that he was currently stoned. Uh-huh.

Hopefully by now, Tweedledee should realize that we are not compatible, and that I’m not interested in him, and never will be. And that he should stop hiding in the basement and come out to talk to the person that he’s supposed to spend time with.

Don’t be this guy!!

10 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

lol - Jordan. That's funny. Well, perhaps you could share some insight on why some guys (and girls?) would act this way. I actually feel sorry for him myself. Granted, I can see the funny side of it now. It was painful then, don't get me wrong!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This fellow is a basket case in need of a good lecture.

He obviously does not no what he's doing, which unfortunately means he won't be taking any corrective action anytime soon.

Have you given him a lecture yet ? Or maybe the question should be, is it even worth it ?

Better luck next time then. What movie did you guys watch ?

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oops typo.

no = know and anytime = any time.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

nah, I don't think he needs a lecture - he probably feels really bad about the whole thing which is really 'punishment' enough.

We watched Kingdom of Heaven.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

ROFL. Sorry, I know how awful you must have felt, but I'm laughing at the nincompoop, not you!

He's not worth your time. At least it was Kingdom of Heaven and not a film that's totally bad. Or maybe you found the film bad - I don't know. :)

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"tweedledumDUM" - heheheheh.

char

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger superkumquat said...

just point him out to me if i ever have the opportunity to meet him. discreetly, of course.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

bertha: oh, i liked the movie! Admittedly, it took me a while to get into the movie because I spent the first 15 minutes going, "whatthehell?whatthehell?" I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

froot: oh, i'd do one better than that - i have his photo (don't ask). hehehee

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger Bertha said...

He should be flayed for spoiling the total film experience! Good thing it isn't LOTR.....

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

oh gosh! I don't watch LOTR with just anybody, that's for sure! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home