Monday, July 04, 2005

Jesus loves you

My pirated dvd seller wears a t-shirt that says, “Jesus died to save your sins.”

I feel guilty for not feeling guilty enough.

The Motorcycle Diaries was an amazing movie – I can’t wait to travel to South America! I’ve been wanting to go for ages but just seeing it, and hearing the language, makes me all more determined to go. Imagine, to go on a remarkable journey that completely changes your life. I’ve been talking to travellers and reading travelogues and there’s always been a consistent theme: how glad they are for undertaking the journey, even though it may have not turned out the way that they wished. There’s not much talk of “I should have just stayed at home.” I’m reminded of my own Bali trip and how parts of it was difficult (and boy, did I blog about it!) but overall, it has been a positive experience for me. I look back at it with fondness, even with the bad stuff, because I am proud of how I pulled through. I definitely don’t miss the aggressive vendors and bemo drivers but it was an experience that I wouldn’t change.

My worst trip was to Beijing but thankfully, at least that was for work and I didn’t have to pay for it. Or maybe that’s it – because I didn’t really put much of my money into it, I appreciated it less. Although certainly, the thick pollution, the pushy crowds/vendors and the aggressive, rude Beijing people didn’t really endear me to the city much. Anyway, if I were to finance my own trip, China wouldn’t be on my must-travel list. As much as I want to see Cambodia, Laos, Nepal, Bhutan, etc.. , I’d be happier if I were off this continent for a while. Just for a change of pace. It’s such a big world out there!

Maria, Full of Grace is another movie that blew me away. I am inspired by the lead character, Maria, who faces huge adversity with such feistiness. She is such a remarkable young woman. She makes a lot of mistakes along the way but she somehow manages to pull herself through and just keeps on moving. She has very little time for self-pity, which I truly admire. And throughout she retains her true spirit of what she is – a compassionate, courageous woman. Just thinking of the movie uplifts my spirits.

I can definitely watch these two movies over and over again. Best RM16 that I’ve spent (only RM8 each! for DVDs!) recently. I hope Jesus understands.

5 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Optimist said...

JESUS SAVES! but Gretzky takes the puck and scores!!!

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, south america seems like THE perfect place to go when you're a bit tired of Asia. I have a friend who spent a year in south america. mostly in brazil but she also backpacked her way to several other countries. She said it was "life changing".

-cecile

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

really! I assume your friend is Filipino? I would love to correspond with her. :)

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Maria Full of Grace was a fabulous movie!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger cooknengr said...

I bought pirated "The Passion of the Christ" in KL. What should I say on judgement day ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home