Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The best things in life are silly.

Chemistry's a funny thing -- you can find it with the most incompatible person around although in my case, it's not that extreme. You forget how delicious the tingly feeling you get whenever you're close to that person, and how you tend to babble a wee bit when they're around until it happens and you're left with a wry grin on your face. They unnerve you, and you react.

Sigh. Combine that with an actual person that I can see myself dating and we're in business.

In the meantime, fieldwork!

One day, we walked over eight kilometres on very hilly terrain, my friend. It was mostly upwards - steep, steep, steep!!.. At one point, I turned back and saw the pained expression on my field assistant's face. I burst out laughing because it felt exhilirating to climb so high, so early in the morning. They predicted that we would be back in camp by around 5 p.m. the earliest and we just steam-rolled our way back two hours earlier than expected. HAH. I love it when that happens -- when people underestimate me. It was a grilling climb but I did it -- no pains the next day either.

The neat part of that day as well was the suspension bridge. Gosh, it was scary. At least over 20 meters high, looking down rapids with large rocks. There was this huge gap between the floor of the bridge and the hand-rail and it's very possible that you could slip and fall all the way down. It had just rained earlier and the wooden bridge was slippery. I went across carefully, whilst telling myself, "don't look down! don't look down!" I would have probably freaked if I did because I have a fear for heights or rather, falling!!!

If there's one thing fieldwork has made me appreciate more, is the ability to stay dry. I was mostly wet or damp throughout those last couple of weeks. It's National Geographic without the fluffy bits. No glory either. Damn you dry people living in cubicles. Well at least I get fresh air.

4 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Edward said...

Good to be dry!!!

Sounds like you need some Neoprene clothing to wick that moisture away. Do you have an outdoor outfitter near you? Whens your birthday? I'll send you some socks that dry in seconds.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Cayce said...

Remember certain angsty entries a couple of months back? Yea, that was my birthday...

Actually, quick-dry clothing sounds really appealing. I really want a quick-dry towel because my ordinary one gets really skanky pretty quickly in the field. But you don't have to send me anything, thanks. :P Tis embarrassing to ask for stuff online.

Although if I ever change my mind, you're the top of list! heheheee

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Edward said...

"Skanky" is one descriptive word. I can only imagine.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Cayce said...

Skanky is one of my favourite words..

AHem.

I just bought a new camping towel today! Hopefully it would be as quick-dry as I think it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home