Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Feeling lonely?

Do you feel lonely in your own country? I can attest to that -- usually when I'm in a crowd of folks and they're spinning these jokes that I, a local, don't get. I prefer being in company of selected few. Often enough, I rather be on my own than with company I easily get bored or don't connect with. And no, it's not lonely.

I do enjoy meeting with other travellers, and hearing their stories and plans of where to go next.. It's been a while since I've hosted someone (the last person was Lets from Brazil -- hey, I miss you girl!) or met up with a traveller. I'm meeting an expat for lunch this week however. Met her briefly last month and we have things in common so we exchanged contact details and planned to meet up. She was saying that it was hard to meet people here in this town who do things other than drinking every other night. I think that is pretty much what most folks do but there are a lot of other activities to do here if you make an effort. But most of it as well is hooking up with the right people and having your own transport. And then there's this clique thing that happens in most places -- like the scuba-diving clique or the hash clique..

I do love this town -- it's my birthplace and my home. I don't regret coming back from Canada to work here for about five years now. Perhaps this is where I would settle and raise my multiple dogs and injured wildlife, as my role as the Crazy Old Lady. But in the meantime, my eyes have a faraway look when I think of travelling elsewhere....

3 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Eduardo said...

I don't feel that way actually. I have finally adopted a philosophy that has served me well, and I am not sure where I heard it first...

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Dee M said...

You know something,you read my mind.About how I love home and etc but looking elsewhere for the moment to travel.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous tofu said...

There's a term for it: wanderlust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home