Sunday, October 30, 2005

On being a clotheshorse

I received one of the nicest compliments tonight:

"I always look forward to seeing what you'd wear."

Aww... thought I, as I went through my internal monologue, "that is so true -- I am AWESOME!"

Tonight was a dinner function and I had on a black lacy see-through kebaya top (black tube top underneath) and a dark blue Thai silk wrap-around skirt. I had bought the top from a market in Ubud, Bali -- it must have only cost me around RM10?? but looks real fancy-nice. Ditto for the skirt which is actually one-half of an outfit -- its matching top is a silk halter-top. Cute outfit overall but I often like to mix and match my pieces as to not look like everybody else.

When I was little, my lola warned my mom that I would be into clothes -- the primping and pampering sort of gal. She was partially right. I'm not big on make-up (hardly wear any). And I often just wear my hair up into a simple slipknot. I don't usually 'dress-up'; it's more of wearing clothes differently from others.

Lately, I've been interested in 'vintage' which is just a fancy term of saying my mom's old clothes. A couple of months ago, my mom and I raided her closet of yester-year and I came away with some really nice pieces. A couple of my favourites include two fitted jackets that I can't wait to travel to overseas so I could wear them! Last night, at a casual dinner, I wore my mom's light pink batik halter top that she made in the 70's (print and all!) and black linen pants.

I'm exhausted! I don't feel like I've really had my weekend although I had a really wacky, fun yet exhausting time at a party in a longhouse two nights ago. Yesterday was spent travelling on the road and boat for hours. I was so tired that all I could do today was sleep. Cheap liquor + forced dancing to Iban MTV karaoke till wee hours in the morning does not do a body good. I want to deck the guy who invented Iban MTV karaoke.

The thought of heading back to the field very soon is very exhausting.

I've been a bad blogger. There are yet so many entries I had wanted to write -- these funny events that keep happening to me. I need to sit down and write them all! If only to remind myself what happened. Sometimes, life seems to be hurtling forwards at full speed and I'm barely clinging on. It's great though!

Life is awesome. Dress it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home