Thursday, February 02, 2006

Bananas on wheels


Bananas on wheels
Originally uploaded by miss cayce.

In Siem Reap, anything goes..

I'd always remember being sandwiched between a French girl and our Khmer motorcycle driver as we hurtled through early morning traffic, heading for Chong Khneas, a Vietnamese "floating village"/port.

None of us had a helmet on and it was my third motorcycle ride in my life ever**. Needless to say, I was a little petrified.

Francois kept me occupied from tragic visions of a Khmer-Malaysian-French road pancake by telling me more about her life, especially in Paris. Her friends can't understand why she'd want to work in all places, Cambodia. She herself couldn't comprehend a life married and settled, with kids like most of her friends (well, perhaps not right now).

A couple of years ago, she embarked on a solo journey to Southeast Asia and fell in love with Cambodia. She knew from then on, that she would go back. Fortunate incidents lead to another, and she evetually found work in a French-operated NGO in Siem Reap where we met.

I was fascinated with her story, especially when she took risks and it all worked out in the end.

Adventurous souls like her speak out loud to me. Who knows where I'd end up next.






**I eventually racked up my motorcycle rides of a lifetime to an impressive number of seven. I am FEARLESS!!

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Sometimes its is the preception of risk rather than actual risk that governs behavior. Who is to say that riding helmetless in Siem Reap is any less or more dangerous that a walk in a park in Malaysia?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home